The Australian population passes twenty-five million people today [best guess] August 7th [just after 11pm].
It should be noted that on July 14th 1998, the projected population for Australia was going to reach 25 Million by 2051. So we have hit 25 Million 33 years earlier than projected, just two decades ago.
This is the importance of understanding a PROJECTION is not a PREDICTION…
The ABS Population Clock projects out from a known base to provide a real-time projection of Australia’s current population. It is determined by adding the same number of births and subtracting the same number of deaths as the previous year, and using an annual forecast of net overseas migration based on Department of Home Affairs’ figures.
The current projection is based on the estimated resident population at 31 December 2017 and assumes growth since then of:
- one birth every 1 minute and 42 seconds,
- one death every 3 minutes and 16 seconds,
- one person arriving to live in Australia every 1 minute and 1 second,
- one Australian resident leaving Australia to live overseas every 1 minute and 51 seconds, leading to
- an overall total population increase of one person every 1 minute and 23 seconds.
How long has it been since we reached 24 million? Previous milestones?
When will we reach 26 million?
Over the last three years, Australia’s population has grown by around 400,000 people per year. If this trend continued, we expect to reach 26 million in the next two to four years.
How much of Australia’s population growth is due to migration?
Over 2017, Australia’s population increased by 388,000 people, with 240,000 (62%) of this growth due to net overseas migration. The remainder (148,000, or 38%) is due to natural increase.