“Disability” or Competitive advantage?
A Toronto restaurant called “Signs” is staffed entirely with deaf waiters and demonstrates an elegant innovation in solving the paradox facing many modern economies and labour markets: namely, engaging those traditionally seen as “marginal” in the labour force and creating dynamic, meaningful and profitable enterprises. Their vision is clear:
- To become one of the best restaurants in Canada
- To promote the use of American Sign Language among the hearing community
- To provide career opportunities and growth for the Deaf in the hospitality industry
- Signs Restaurant – Toronto, Canada
- 1001 Signs – Paris [ A Similar concept]
- ONOIR – Restaurant [ Staff are Blind]