On national “Close the Gap” day, one  in seven  outcomes achieved. That’s a gap…
- Indigenous Australians don’t live as long as other Australians.
- Their children are more likely to die as infants.
- Their health, education and employment outcomes are worse than non-Indigenous people.
Australia has promised to close this gap on health, education and employment.
The Prime Minister’s own report says:
This ninth Closing the Gap report showcases real successes being achieved at a local level across the country—by individuals, communities, organisations and government.
However, at a national level, progress needs to accelerate. Over the long term there are improvements across a number of the targets, however these improvements are not enough to meet the majority of the outcomes set by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG).
- Closing the Gap – Prime Minister and Cabinet
- ABC – Closing the Gap – Australia Going backwards
- OxFam – National Close the Gap Day
Image sourced from ABC.net.au – Closing the Gap